It is estimated (in 2010) that more than 62,000 individuals are living with epilepsy*. Many of these individuals have their condition well-managed, some though are at risk of having prolonged seizures that can have serious life threatening and life changing side effects. Around 1000 individuals die each year from epilepsy related causes*.
Some of the consequences of living with epilepsy include:
- The biggest single reason of one day admission to hospital amongst neurological conditions
- In England and Wales > 69,000 were claiming disability living allowance
- Children living with epilepsy and the side effects of the anti-epilepsy drugs can be seriously disadvantaged due to concentration and attendance levels.
Our Buccal Midazolam training meets the Joint Epilepsy Council (2013) guidelines on the training of buccal midazolam and will include risk assessment and individual care plan(s). Learners will be assessed through practical observation at the end of the session. It is recommended that learners who undertake this course do so willingly, have an in date First aid at Work or Emergency First aid at Work certificate and have had medication training.
First aid at work and paediatric first aid training will cover epilepsy and its first aid management but it is often brief and will not include the emergency medication.
*ref Joint Epilepsy Council
Buccal Midazolam Training Course Specification
- What epilepsy is
- Causes and other types of seizures
- How a diagnosis is made
- Seizure types
- Emergency conditions including status epilepticus
- Management of epilepsy – including Buccal Midazolam
- Risk assessment
- Emergency drugs – including Midazolam
- Indications for use of Midazolam
- Side effects of drugs
- Routes of delivery
- Care plan and local policy
- Storage and disposal
- Practical demonstration
Instructor / Learner Ratio:
Awarding Body / Certification:
Course Requirements / Notes:
Course Delivery and Lead Times:
As a general rule-of-thumb we would ask for at least four weeks lead time, however we have a very customer-focused philosophy and will always try our utmost to meet your more pressing requirements.
We also run public courses for a range of our courses predominantly at venues in the West Midlands. Our current schedule of courses can be seem on our Public Courses page. If you cannot find the course you are looking for please contact us as we may be able to help you directly or by putting you in touch with another company who can.